First of all, I would like to wish you all a very happy, healthy and sporty 2016. A new year. Clean slate. Time for new year resolutions.
Almost everyone have (or had them). I'm going to lose weight, now I really start drinking less alcohol or start exercising every day and preferably all these intentions at once. A good intention is great and a good start, but also only just the beginning.
It is not motivating to know, but two thirds of all new year resolutions end after one month in the best intentions. Too bad, because if you do it just a little bit different, the chance to succeed increases dramatically.
Here are a few tips:
Do not try to change too much at once. Trying to change too much at once is very ambitious and it carries the risk that you become unmotivated if it fails.
- Start with one thing you want to change, for example, drink less alcohol, work out more often, eat more fruit, prepare healthy meals yourself.
- Plan ahead and be as specific as possible: not I will work out more often but I will work out three times a week and plan your diary. If you use the Workoutclub HIIT exercises you only need 12 minutes a day. These should easily fit in your schedule.
- Make sure your goals are not too challenging. If you aim your goals to high: for example loose 10 kilos, chances are that you will not reach your goal because it will take too much time and you loose motivation. Setting many small steps get you to your goal. Keep your goals realistic and make them specific.
- Give yourself small rewards every time you reach a step further towards your objective. Buy yourself flowers or treat yourself to a day at the sauna, give yourself a pat on the back.
- If you have a bad day, don’t give up. See it as a temporary set back. Start over the next day. Every day gives you new chances, feeling guilty doesn’t bring you anything. Look forward and keep trying.
- Find a buddy. There are probably friends or family members who have the same good intentions. Agree to work out together or to quit smoking together. It is a big help if you can support and motivate each other.
Of course I also have good intentions: to write more blogs.
How do I go about this? I have my agenda in front of me and I start planning my days I will blog...